Monday, August 1, 2011

Stoneguard

I struggled with keeping or changing the look of the stoneguard on the front of Gearhead for three reasons:
  1. It had a long tear in the middle that cut through the fiberglass.
  2. It was an ugly faded yellow color and none of the screws matched.
  3. It was an after-market addition that had a serious job to do but execution was poor.  (see #2) 

Before, with stoneguard

After, with clean windows

It was a struggle to remove and when it finally did come loose, fell crashing down on the tongue -- but didn't crack or break on impact.   Amazing.  Do you suppose trailers made today will be this durable 45 years from now?

But I digress.  I planned to paint the guard a black matte, frame and all, but I think I like the Shasta front without it.   I washed the windows and removed old decrepit stickers and discovered a mangled jalousie pane holder.  I straightened it out and will measure to have a piece of glass cut.  I think the next time I find a trailer on the way to the scrapyard with this much work to do, I may run the other way.  MAYBE, she says 'cuz Aluminitis has no known cure.   = ;^0

Curb Side, Nice Profile

Waiting to make sure the roof is sealed up tight.  Cannot wait for work to progress inside.

2 comments:

  1. Definitely a case of Aluminitis!

    Can't wait to see it, I've been thinking that this vintage with the orange stripe has been looking pretty interesting lately. After reading this post the first time, I thought that you planned on painting the entire trailer matte black and that perhaps it was a ploy to get your boys to help renovate it! Whatever happens I hope you keep the stripe orange.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement, Don! =) Keeping the orange stripe and adding a few more Shasta decals. Also a campalumna.com across the front.

    ReplyDelete